Monday, January 27, 2014

Itchy Sweater


I may have used this metaphor before.  January is like an itchy sweater.  Seems cozy at first, (the holidays done and behind me--those first weeks of family birthdays have wound down... then the slightly uncomfortable sensation of just wanting the month to be over creeps in)... and I just want that sweater off!  It was lovely at first--new and fresh--(with big aspirations)... even a bit stylish.  And now it is starting to get itchy--a bit worn even--ready to get it off.

Actually ready to be in a t-shirt--instead of the sweater... but that is more for the impatience of a long winter-less winter.  In Normandie--we haven't had snow-and I realize many of you are just sick of it--tired of being buried, frozen, trapped at home in countless snow days, power outages...  We haven't had any of that.  Well wait.  We have had power outages--in fact a bit too many this past weekend alone.  About 20--every weekend evening--for 2-3 minutes---every ten minutes... or so.  Not weather related -- not anything related.  Ask me if that is annoying.

January has been challenging!  How has it been for you?  My laptop 'fell-ill' and is now at the repair shop and I am in serious withdrawal for my data and images while I borrow a computer from mon fils.  Our family stress has been up there--that is another post I think--but Middle Garcon has been pushing us to our parenting limits.  So that all means that the work week is slow--and the weekends are..... so lovely--in an amped-up stressed out sort of way.

Itchy sweater--grumpy.  That's me.  It's grey.  Le gris is not any prettier in France by the way.  (Despite the popular Annie Sloan chalk paint name--French Grey)--truly--it is not nice.  The sky is grey--not always for rain--just grey.  It starts getting dark at 3pm.  Who knew I moved to the French Pacific Northwest?


Come on spring--come on light!  Come back!  No?  Okay--I will just take February then!

And of course--kicking it off with a shop 'pop-up'....  February 1 & 2... and I am really excited.  

Lots of linens for February!  Monogrammed vintage sheets, French milled linen pillow covers--and every variety of red-striped 'torchon' kitchen towels... and I bought the most interesting and fabulous batch of grain sacks!  I have already made one into a runner for my kitchen table--and have lots more to sell--and at really great prices!  

Hope to see you then.  

I promise to be more cheery--and to have on a much more comfortable sweater!

 

 


7 comments:

  1. Well, if you need a snow fix check out my post from yesterday.....we have snow, lots of it too! Your photos are lovely and the last one with the cup of deliciousness makes me want to climb right in and join you. I would love to get out to a coffee shop right now, but our roads a slick with ice I'm told. So I am forced to stay home and make my own! Have a delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hear you...this has been the worst winter ever!!! I broke my foot(slipped on the ice)...we have have had record breaking cold days(even for Canada) and more snow than I have seen in the last five years combined...enough already!!!! Ok I feel better now..thanks..cannot wait to see what you have for the shop..take it easy..there is light at the end of the tunnel...right?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the itchy sweater. In the Midwest, we have had a tough, very cold and snowy, winter. I am dreaming of Spring and sandals. However, I have had time for the household chores, that are necessary and not on my list usually. I am ready to move on to February. It will be fun to shop on Friday. You always have lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been the second driest winter on record in Portland, Oregon this year, so we have more than our normal share of blue skies. Today is gray and windy, but no rain. I totally get the weariness of the gray!
    So, "Bonnie" is done and hanging up in my home as of today! I can't wait for you to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been very hot here in Down under, I 've never been to France in winter time. Always spring and Autumn.
    I wish I can go to pop up shop for those great french linen.
    Hope weather gets better for you.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been cooped up in this house for 2 days…2 inches of snow and icy roads..but then again, it gives me a chance to decompress a bit…and finish putting away the Christmas decorations, yes, Christmas decorations…have had a busy schedule of travel after Christmas…hopefully they will be all packed away this weekend…love your itchy sweater metaphor…even though it is cold and snow on the ground, the sky is so blue and the birds are singing…cannot understand why they are singing..and why they are not in the South!
    Have a wonderful weekend and cannot tell you how much I am enjoying my French treasures thanks to you and the French Guy…and Kimmie too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well what can I say. I just love how you write and you make sense with everything you say. From Canada hugs and kisses. xx

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup for taking the time to leave a note! I appreciate it so much! I moderate and respond to comments as soon as possible and I love hearing your thoughts!